Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Crying

Crying is a very complicated thing. Babies do it, happy people, sad people, frustrated people, etc. Why tear drops running down a face is the symbol of emotion is beyond me. Even though I don't understand it, I do it quite frequently. Sometimes, I have no idea why! I can sit through most dramas without shedding a tear (despite feeling internally sad), but I turn into a wreck on some occasions where I'm pretty shocked myself. I remember my dad telling me a story of when I was a little kid, I ran into his office bawling, and he asked, "What's wrong?" I responded with, "I have NO idea!"

One thing I've also noticed about crying is that there are two different types. There is the type of crying where tears stream down, and ability to speak is only slightly hindered. <- I prefer this type.
Then there is the type of crying where tears stream with very short, shallow breaths. The ability to speak is almost non-existent. <- I refer to this type as "awkward tears". This type most frequently occurs when I'm in a room with people I hardly know. It's wonderful.

Another thing I've noticed is that when I'm telling someone something that is genuinely sad, there is an inverse relationship between how sad a statement is and how hard I cry when I say it. I'll say something totally generic like the color of the sky, and I'll start bawling. I haven't even gotten to the part that's sad! And they automatically assume that I'm a crazy person that wishes the sky was a different color... Great...

Anyway, I think I am coming to terms with the fact that I'll always cry. That's a given. And that in some cases, it's a really good thing for me. If I kept everything bottled up, it might lead me to do ridiculous things like "kick a chicken" *wink wink*. And if people think I'm kind of an embarrassment, I just won't invite them to my birthday party next year. :)

3 comments:

  1. people at my house make bets on what part of a sad movie i'll start to cry at, or when in a testimony metting or firesides i'll start to cry. i'm in a very similar circumstance as you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't worry hun! I do that all the time! I randomly cry about really random things while i try and tell a story! I haven't even gotten to the part that's sad and I cry. ugh. Don't worry i'm with ya :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to know I'm not alone. :) Both of your comments sound pretty dang accurate. Fun times, eh? Haha.

    ReplyDelete